Monday, April 07, 2008

NCAA Final

I'm such a douche when it comes to NCAA basketball; I'm the proverbial curmudgeon/old fuck "oh, it was better in my day!" motherfucker. A worthless old man. And when that kid hit that big three at the end of regulation for Kansas tonite, my first thoughts were, unbelievably, "I guess I'll try to act like this was as big a shot as the ones I saw in the 80's." HA! So condescending, I thought to myself as I settled in to finish the game.

Then I thought you know what, fuck you! Just cause you're old don't mean you ain't right. I'm sorry, but the stretch from 1982-1987 is unparalleled: 3 big shots to win (Jordan, Lo Charles, Keith Smart), the greatest upset in tourney history (Villanova), the SECOND higgest upset in tourney history (NC State), a coronation (I think Georgetown beat Houston 84-75, but believe me it wasn't that close.) Every year, history. Freddy Brown. John Thompson. Derrick Coleman. And if that wasn't enuff, the year after 1987 featured Danny and the Miracles, and the year after that a Michaigan team whose coach quit, and then we move on to Duke/UNLV for a few years. Unbelievable.

So that kid's three was huge. Put it up against any shot in tourney history, fine. But for fuck's sake, even the ONE boring Final in 1980's, history featured 1) a team that set the record for wins in a season and 2) a freshman winning the MVP. Unreal. I'm colored by bias, but it's it's gonna be a long time before we put together a string of NCAA Finals like we did in the 1980's.

No comments: