Thursday, April 24, 2008

What We've Become? Really?

Everywhere you look now, articles and articles re: the cost of food skyrocketing. Really? This is what it's come to? We've become inured to certain things like paying a lot for gas, bailing out airlines and Wall Street billionaires, but at least we could feel like those were super-power, priviliged hits to take. But food? Feels a bit more primal than the others, no? Are we really doing this; are we really sprinting past our inevitable 2nd-world status straight to third world? Fucking christ.

Of course, maybe if we weren't spending over $439 BILLION a year just on our defense. I know I know, some fucker right now is reading this and his veins are exploding re: we have to secure ourselves!! blah blah blah. We've let ourselves become so obsessed about protecting ourselves from boogeymen - OHMYGOD some guy in Tobago might have the materials for a pipe bomb please, please take my paycheck!! Here's my house!!! Didn't the Russians once have about 30,000 nuclear missiles ready to let fly at us? And yet we still found money for other things. Still moved ahead as a country. Not anymore. Why even pretend anymore, why not simply direct deposit everyone's paychecks to Halliburton? whoops, I meant the Pentagon. Johnny can't read, Johnny can't have health insurance, Johnny prolly won't get his social security and now Johnny can't eat. Wonderful. What the fuck are we paying so much to defend? Why are we even a country? I can't buy a fucking bowl of rice, and I give a fuck about yellowcake in Tanzania? I can't eat, I can't read - fuck it, kill me! Please!!

No comments: