Monday, October 27, 2008

Free Publicity for The Big Dipper

ATF disrupts skinhead plot to assassinate Obama:
WASHINGTON (AP) - The ATF says it has broken up a plot to assassinate Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama and shoot or decapitate 102 black people in a Tennessee murder spree.

When I first saw this headline, I wanted to make a joke linking it to the old anecdote about the NBA player who scored 2 points in a game in which Wilt Chamberlain scored 69 and went on to brag for years about the night that he and Wilt the Stilt combined for 71 points. As I was patting myself on the back for being so witty, it occurred to me that for a while now I've been looking forward to the unbelievable lift of possibility Obama winning will give to black people (I'm assuming.) Now I'm wondering what the ratio of that group will be to the number of whites who not only feel like their keys to the kingdom are threatened, but are willing to do something violent about it. And while I've made jokes here about the possibility of Obama being assassinated (let's be honest, THIS is funny!!!), I don't know if I've really thought a lot about any OTHER black person being attacked. Certainly not in these numbers, or with such pre-meditation. Not good.

No comments: