Monday, November 10, 2008

Three Reasons Obama Has to Succeed

1) Black People - the most obvious. Yes, it's 2008, and we've all been singing koom-buy-yah (however the fuck it's spelled) for a week, but there are TONS of people out there who will be more than willing to, if Obama fails, "gently" remind us well, it looks like "blacks" can't be president. Like Jackie Robinson setting things back for a generation if he turned out to be a crappy player. Hell, look how hard it's been getting a black qb back in the Super Bowl for chrissake. And Doug Williams won!

2) Elitists - a good Obama presidency can finally get us away from this "I'm voting for the guy most like me that I'd like to have a beer with" nonsense. It'd be nice to hear "well, he's Mr. Harvard, and he's definitely smarter than me and he sips champagne instead of Natty Light, but he got us out of the war and I have my job back and my family has health insurance, so I guess him talking so smart is okay with me." The juxtaposition of a "Just Like Me!" Bush administration vs. a "Better Than Me!" Obama administration could put all that to rest.

3) Non-Executives
- this has also got to go, this "one day of executive power, NO MATTER ON WHAT LEVEL!!, trumps all else!!!" When I was growing up, our town mayor had been mayor for about 50 years, and his one claim to fame was driving to Richmond every single day to go to Arby's. So let's get one thing straight: I fucking love Arby's. If I could go to Arby's every single day I would too. But to think for one second that this guy could somehow qualify for the presidency is scary at best. Enough of this nonsense.

Lot to put on Obama. But I'm not worried.

No comments: