Saturday, January 31, 2009

A Message to You, Rudy

Just when you thought Mitch McConnell and Republicans in the House had broken the record for political tone-deafness, along comes Count Rudy to make a play for the first place trophy:
Rudy Giuliani: Wall Street bonuses big boost for New York City
Former mayor Rudy Giuliani urged President Obama and others to go slow on cracking down on Wall Street bonuses because they help boost New York City coffers.

"If you somehow take that bonus out of the economy, it really will create unemployment," the former two-term mayor said Friday. "It means less spending in restaurants, less spending in department stores, so everything has an impact."


I like Rudy's thinking here. It's NOT GIVING THE VERY PEOPLE WHO ARE LARGELY RESPONSIBLE FOR CREATING THE MESS WE'RE IN EVEN MORE MONEY that will create unemployment. Amazing. I guess an analogy would be claiming that NOT giving Hitler more ovens will create more dead Jews?

Rudy's solution for everything is of course to keep the super-rich super-rich, and things will "trickle down." Except it's pretty much widely accepted by now that Jesus Reagan's trickle-down nonsense has failed:
The picture painted here is clear: from job growth to debt, and from income disparity to national poverty indices, the conservative approach of putting big corporations and the very wealthy ahead of the middle class has failed to create prosperity that can be shared by all Americans.

Actually I guess I'm wrong here - it's merely failed for Americans, but not RICH Americans.

Why even go thru the pretense of having these people "working on Wall Street"? Why not simply select the 5,000 richest motherfuckers from Wall Street. I mean the foulest, dumbest jagoffs who lost the most money for us, yet got the biggest bonuses. We give them all our money, a gas card and a car, and then hope that as they drive around the country they come to our shops/restaurants et al and give the money back to us. Maybe they can hide bits of cash in telephone booths, mailboxes etc? Or isn't there some program where I can "adopt" a super-rich Wall Street banker - unlike sending my money to some little shit in Africa who's starving, at least now I would be able to hope that the Wall Street guy would somehow buy something in my neighborhood, of which after about 7 years and 1,119 transactions 1/100th of my investment might've found it's way back to me? Bout the same as trickle-down economics, no?

I will admit, I admire Rudy's Bush-esque moxie here; not even pretending to hide the fact that his only theme is "I just wanna make my friends a shit-load of money." Except that if he's serious about running for governor in a few years he needs to stick to things like Jesus, 9/11 and swearing he's anti-abortion. As in there's still more dipshits out there that fall for that stuff than there are billionaire Wall Streeters.

No comments: