Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Obama's Speech V

The Republicans openly cat-calling Obama when he mentioned he wasn't interested in giving out more tax cuts to the wealthy surprised me - they used to at least PRETEND they were the party "for Joe 6-Pack" etc; now they're the official defenders of those "helpless" Americans who barely make what Tiger Woods makes. Astounding to me.

At the same time, there is open sneering going on about the $13 a week everybody else will be getting. Which is funny, since I'm guessing that the ratio of these people to the uber-wealthy people the GOP only seems interested in now would be about a million to one. It doesn't sound like much, but an extra $52/month might actually mean more to a good number of people than cutting taxes to others in terms of proportion of income. I'm guessing there's more of the former than the latter. So maybe it's nothing to quickly dismiss/sneeze at/make "you can have a fucking pizza party" jokes about. But what the hell do I know - I'm only 6'2" and beautiful.

No comments: