Tuesday, April 28, 2009

She's Back!

I noted this commercial a year ago; now for some reason the exact same one has resurfaced on non-YES channels. Rusty jigsaws and all. What the fuck?
All week during Mike and the Mad Dog the YES Network has been playing their latest anti-smoking commercial over and over; today's Thursday and I've seen it maybe 16,000 times already. This one features a women whose lifelong addiction to smoking has cost her twenty amputations. 20!!!! So the commercial starts, and for some reason I find myself kinda paying attention this time. Which is funny, cause anything you can get from smoking is the one thing my 874 year-old body doesn't hafta worry about. So she's talking, yada yada, and as she's talking pictures of her hands and feet minus the amputated fingers and toes float in and out of the screen, along with hospital computer images of how the smoking did it, etc etc. That's rough, I thought. Then, all of a sudden, floating along the screen we see...a jagged, rust-covered jigsaw. What? Excuse me? Did she have her operations at the Battle of Gettysburg? Is this supposed to scare us into not smoking, knowing that for any amputation they'll pull out a JIGSAW to cut you while you take a shot of whiskey and chew on stick? Really? And I love that the saw isn't jolting enough, somebody actually thought "you know what, we should cover it in rust." Just like any instrument in a hospital would be, I suppose. Awesome.

No comments: