Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Tunguska Event Update

A coupla months ago I wondered about The Tunguska Event HERE, wherein I used my "obviously I'm a fucking scientist, since I own a tv, which was invented by scientists!!" skills to deduce how the area at what would be considered ground zero remained fairly untouched by the blast:
and I arrived at my old National Guard days, when I gave physicals to people. One of my jobs was to give eye exams to people. And one of those exams was what was colloquially known as the "puff of air" test; ie non-contact tonometry. The subject leans in and opens his eyes, and a puff of air is shot into his eye.

I'm not saying the energy between this and the Tunguska Event are the same, but in both instances the very point on which energy is applied, there is no damage. IE the cornea gets flattened, but rebounds immediately. I have a feeling that the trees directly underneath the Tunguska Event survived for the same reason - the energy released was immediately reflected and then spread out from there on.

And just now on the shitter I stumbled upon an explanation of what actually happened...granted, twas a chapter in a book that also tried to explain the existence of vampires and Homer, but still:
Scientists began to see the similarities between the Tunguska Eventand a nother even more catastrophic explosion: the destruction of Hiroshima and Nagasaki with thermonuclear devices.

The reason there was no crater was that the explosion had taken place above the ground, as with an atomic bomb. The standing trees at the central point of the explosion confirmed this; as both Nagasaki and Hiroshima, buildings directly beneath the blast remained standing, because the blast spread sideways

I get an F- for thinking that the trees would somehow "rebound" even if at the perfect epicenter of energy. What an idiot. But I'm giving myself a little bit of credit for thinking that the "ground zero" trees would survive because the energy would immediately spread like a drop of water on a table that hits so hard the middle remains dry while the wetness spread sideways.

Hey, camon...I don't have a career, a woman, or even hopes of one. Gimme this little tiny hope that I almost got something right here!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!

No comments: