Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The State Should Be Ashamed

While in college (WIC) I stumbled upon some show on MTV called The State - since then it has passed into cult status, but at the time I tried to videotape it as much as possible, had no idea what the fuck it was, and, I thought, it was canceled after about 10 episodes.

Then a few years later some of the cast were in Reno 911! which was part great, part "how the fuck is this thing still on?"

And of course Michael Ian Black spent about 100 hours in a row in the VH1 offices saying every word in the English language so that they could be used in every I Love the 1980s/90/00s/my nuts etc etc.

I few weeks ago they announced a new show with two of the "Beatles" of that original The State season, and my curiosity was a little peaked. And all of a sudden, to promote the new show, they showed old episodes of "The State." I say "The State" cause I watched for hours, yet these were not episodes I 1) had ever seen 2) even remotely laughed at. Danger ahead, I thought.

And now I've watched about 10 minutes of the newest show, Michael & Michael Have Issues, and I'm shocked at how much funnier any random trip I made to a salad bar in 1986 was than any moment of this outrageously unwatchable, cringe-worthy show.

I think the window on white, slacker, ironic NYC "sketch comedy" has officially closed. And I'm guessing I'm a few years late. Fucking hell. Good riddance.

For REAL comedy, hit HERE.

1 comment:

Kiko Jones said...

We're living in the Judd Apatow-approved era of anti-comedy. Hopefully, it will be over by the time you read this.