Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Stimulus Odds

It looks like the powers that be in Arizona are running around bumping into each other like the Three Stooges re: spending of the state's share of stimulus money. And unless you've been on Saturn, surely you've been made aware of the clown show going on up in Albany, which makes the Arizona gang look like the first Continental Congress.

I know you're supposed to be horrified at the thought of the Federal government running a glory hole, much less being in charge of each state's stimulus spending. We're supposed to claim that the more local the government in charge of things, the better off we'll be. But is that really true in this case?

I would think that the odds of Obama/Geithner et al, who campaigned hard to sell the stimulus package to Congress and the public, wanting it to succeed would be at 100%. On the other hand, you have 50 different governors with 50 different agendas who may or may not necessarily think it's in their own best interest for it to succeed - see the handful of governors who have tried to reject it; certainly it's in their best interest to set the cash on fire behind a liquor store so they can say "see, I was right, it didn't work!!" and get re-elected for their prescience.

I know, I know, the federal government can't deliver the mail. And the only reason I'm thinking this is because Obama has mesmerized me with his big voodoo dick. But a cursory look at the roster of governors in this country - a lot whom haven't really shown themselves to be the greatest things since the fleshlight sliced bread - coupled with their own political agendas re: the stimulus makes me not like the odds of them making the right choices too much. I would, in fact, put those odds at LESS than 100%. Which I guess is a gamble worth taking if it means being re-elected on the platform of "Keeping the State in the Shitter for YOU!"

No comments: