Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Queer Hunter

Yet another way I know I'm not a real man is showcased in the Deer Hunter scene when DeNiro's coming home, and they're throwing a party for him.  Now, if it's me, I could be coming home after a 3-year stint in jail for jerking off a little kid, and I'd be like "oooooooooooooohhh, party??!??! Just for MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?????!!" and then spend all night eating cupcakes and knocking back cold ones with the 2 people that are horrified they feel so obligated they hafta be there, trying to impress them with my prison stories. Yet here's DeNiro, a genuine war hero, and he drives right by to instead sit in a hotel room all by himself.  Christ. I'm such a pussy.

That scene always reminds me of what many people consider to be Bruce's "real" Vietnam song.
(interesting story re: how he  accidentally met Ron Kovic for the first time, after having read Born on the Fourth of July.)

No comments: