Monday, March 29, 2010

College DJ Hero

What were you doing in 1992? Probably being an asshole, not contributing to society in any meaningful way. I was kicking off my career as a dj at the college radio station. And while I'm pretty proud that by my second song ever played I had slipped in the "N-Word," It's hard to believe another human sounding as gay as I do when I say "turn it UP!" As Watty would say: "Wow."



Luckily by the end of the show I had loosened up a bit.



I was only a dj for a semester; I got tired of people calling up to hear the Red Holt Chili Peppers. I'd instruct them to put their hand on the radio dial and spin it in either direction and they'd probably get one. Plus, it was lonely in there by yourself - the most fun I had was when I brought a buddy into the studio and I did a "the lead singer from DT and the Shakes has died" show, and he pretended to be two of the band members - one distraught, one glad. Mostly I ended up badgering girls into calling in and talking to me. Of course we didn't have a speakerphone, so the listeners could only hear my end of the conversation. Of course. Luckily we only had 10 watts, meaning that if you were about 3 feet away from the station you couldn't hear it. Sigh. Memories.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you have any air checks of the Christian Rock show?

And "Do You Remember Rock & Roll Radio?" is my single favorite Ramones song and always has been.

Quick, funny story; The Ramones did an In Store appearance at Penguin Feather records in Bailey's Crossroads in the late 70's before I had a driver's license.

My mother, father and 10 year old sister all ended up standing outside to get them to sign a picture from Creem Magazine.

Ahhh...the 70's

zimmy

Pops said...

Nice!