Friday, April 09, 2010

Spartacus: Blood and Sand

For no reason at all I somehow stumbled upon Spartacus: Blood and Sand a few months ago, several episodes into the season. I was immediately so shocked by the violence and death it overwhelmed me; yet for some reason I found myself drawn to it, even if only in little bit and pieces throughout each of the many showings throughout the week. Violence for it's own sake is not my bag, but getting to know the relationships of the characters and the triviality of human life set up unexpected turn after unexpected turn. Also, the guy that was last seen reading an Auden poem in Four Weddings and a Funeral should win an Emmy, he's fucking off the charts amazing. One of the greatest rewards has been watching him begrudgingly weave himself alongside Spartacus throughout the season.

But the scene at the end of the Party Favors episode when Spartacus is faced with having to kill the only friend he has solely on the whims of a child is beyond fucking stunning.  It is shocking in every moment, and completely heart-breaking. Even after you know Varro will die, how it happens is shocking. Breathless. At least three times in the scene, you will literally gasp. I cannot think of a more "oh my fucking god" scene from any drama in the last decade. If there are industry awards for individual scenes, this one wins. By a landslide.

No comments: