Monday, April 12, 2010

Sweet Jane

Just to remind myself of what worthless tools Metallica are I just forced myself to watch them back up Lou Reed at the Rock Hall of Fame thing at MSG that's on HBO right now. Obviously it fucking stunk, since Metallica Rule #1 of covering any song is of course "suck all the life out of the song by turning it into sludge and have Kirk Hammett do some stupid wanky shit over top of it." I greatly prefer Soul Asylum's backing him up on the slice from the Cleveland opening show in 1995, which to me have always had some of the greatest backps ever, so cool that they seem to startle Lou at first. Unlike the Metallica one, where after Hammett's first run-through of hammer-ons, Lou gives a look like he just cut one.

As I will not befoul the internet with Metallica's version, here's the one with Soul Asylum, which fucking rocks.

No comments: