Thursday, May 20, 2010

Album Thoughts, IV

It was always George Martin's policy that the first and last song on each side of a record should be strong - I think he called them an albums sign posts. Of course that doesn't matter these days since Steve Jobs simply sends songs to our minds via his death ray, but I thought I'd check out my favorites of each category from my favorite band.

Side 1 closers HERE
Side 2 closers HERE.

TODAY: Side 2 openers

THE RAMONES
Animal Boy: Bonzo Goes to Bitburg
Also Pretty Awesome: Now I Wanna Be a Good Boy, Teenage Lobotomy, I Wanna Be Sedated, Baby I Love You, She's a Sensation, Howling at the Moon, Death of Me, Pet Sematary. As usual, The Ramones lead the league in the category.

THE REPLACEMENTS
Tim: Bastards of Young
Also Pretty Awesome: White and Lazy, Within Your Reach, Unsatisfied, Never Mind, Anywhere Is Better Than here. Finally, a signpost they nail.

THE BEATLES
Abbey Road: Here Comes the Sun
Also Pretty Awesome : Roll Over Beethoven, Birthday, I've Got a Feeling. Another curiously weak showing, considering George Martin was the original signpost guy.

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN
Born to Run: Born to Run
Also Pretty Awesome: No Surrender

THE CLASH
Cut the Crap: This is England
Also Pretty Awesome: Career Opportunities, Police On My Back,

MARAH
Their albums have never really been on tapes or records...until LIFE'S A PROBLEM, their upcoming one! Find it HERE!!

R.E.M.
Murmer: Catapult
Also Pretty Awesome: nothing

HUSKER DU
New Day Rising: Terms of Psychic Warfare
Also Pretty Awesome: Hardly Getting Over It

SOUL ASYLUM
While You Were Out: Closer to the Stars
Also Pretty Awesome: Standing in the Doorway, New World,


Surprisingly, the weakest category yet.

No comments: