Sunday, May 23, 2010

Boot Prints

"What I don't like from the president's administration is this sort of, 'I'll put my boot heel on the throat of BP,'" Paul said in an interview with ABC's "Good Morning America." "I think that sounds really un-American in his criticism of business."
Lost among Rand Paul's anti-Civil Rights Act musings, the above quote might be even more curious. We're in the middle of a period wherein "business" was allowed to run amok with the government being as laissez-fairé as possible, and this led to us coming about $1.32 from a second Great Depression. Now we see that BP was allowed to run their oil drilling with scotch tape, marbles and old bubblegum cards holding it together so that they could make as much profit as possible, and so we're looking forward to Bumblebee Motor Oil in a can. Now I'm not saying that such a policy should go on open-ended, but it seems to me that if there was ever an exact moment for the government to be putting their boot heels on some throats, this would be that moment.

No comments: