Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Egg Foo Not-So-Young?

You people know I loves me some egg foo young (prolly why I'm still not fitting into my Fashion Herald skinny jeans. But I never seem to know anybody else that even knows what it is, much less eats it. Matter of fact, the only other person I've even seen eat it is Brothatime!!

But just now on the classic episode of All in the Family, the one with the flashback to when Archie met the Meathead, they're having Chinese food pre-flashback, and they whip out some egg foo young.  It's the only instance I've ever even heard it referred to on tv. Is egg foo young actually some sort of a retro dish from the 70's? Is that why nobody else eats it? Is that why I still love Joy Garden, cause it looks like it's 1972?

Archie: I ain't gonna eat this food with these Chink pick-up sticks.
Mike Stivic: How can you say that, Arch? With one word you attack an entire race of people and not just the Chinese, the Laotians, the Cambodians, the Vietnamese.
Archie: Wait a minute, Meathead, I never call them countries Chinks.
Edith: He calls them Gooks.
Archie: I'm saying they're all a yellow race. They ain't exactly Chinks, but they are definitely offshoots of your Chinks, they're what you call Chinkish. 

No comments: