Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Jack Dorsey

I still can't seem to get a hold on even remembering or caring that I have a Twitter account, but the founder Jack Dorsey's interview with Charlie Rose is pretty great, both in his general philosophy re: his coding "My goal is to simplify complexity.  I just want to build stuff that really simplifies our base human interaction" and how the idea of Twitter came to him in the first place:
JACK DORSEY: I’ve always been fascinated by cities and how they work.  And I taught myself how to program so I can understand how the city works.
CHARLIE ROSE: You taught yourself to program so you could understand how cities work?
JACK DORSEY: I wanted to visualize them.  I wanted to see them.  I wanted to play with them.  I was inspired by New York City and just — if you consider New York City, all these entities roams about the cities, taxicabs, ambulances, fire trucks. And they’re always reporting where they are and what they’re doing. And if you can visualize that you can see how the city is living and breathing and what’s happening in the city.
Also, now that I am the owner of a small plastic card that can be used for banking transactions at over 9400 locations throughout the country, his Square idea is of interest as well.

No comments: