Thursday, February 03, 2011

Andy Pettitte

Seeing Jeter/Pettitte/Posada on Letterman last night like they were Don Rickles reminded me that the end is near, and though I have been hard on all of them at times when that day comes I'm probably gonna cry like a baby. I was lucky to have walked right into this team 12 seasons ago, like a kid born at the right time to worship Mantle. Ah well. I guess maybe then it'd be time to talk to a living woman, or get a real job. Hmm. - XMASTIME
Andy Pettitte's officially announcing his retirement tomorrow. That fucking sucks. As I wrote HERE, just like with Mike Mussina I don't really consider him to be a Hall of Famer, but I'd certainly be thrilled if he did get in.  Nobody stayed awake at night scared of facing Pettitte, and no fathers brought their kids to the Stadium to witness "The Great Pettitte," but he was a workhorse and one the greatest, clutch post-season pitchers of all time (His personal career postseason win total is more than that of nine other franchises (Kansas City-18; Arizona-15, Seattle-15, San Diego-12, Tampa Bay-10, Colorado-9, Milwaukee-9, Texas-9, and Montreal/Washingon-5).)

He's one of few remaining connections to the Yankees I first fell in love with, he has five World Series rings, and I'll miss watching him pitch on a lazy June afternoon.

Also, he's probably the only starting pitcher I'll ever be able to say I saw pitch at the Stadium in three different decades!

3 comments:

Kiko Jones said...

The news of his retirement, after the back-and-forth of "will he/won't he", coupled with not the most reassuring of Yankee prospects for 2011, have me in a bit of a foul mood. Like one of my boys said, "All that swimming just to drown by the shore": that's how I'm feeling.

I’m not in the mood to say goodbye, so I’m gonna leave it at that for now, instead of mouthing off like an ungrateful bastard and not recognizing all the great things he did for the pinstripes.

Anonymous said...

Like George Washington...he'll be back on his horse again. Just wait....

Anonymous said...

back on his mount again.