Sunday, March 27, 2011

Mark Wade

And I'm too lazy to look it up, but that 1987 UNLV team with Freddie Banks, Jarvis Basnight (THE greatest name in NCAA history? Sounds like a Sherlock Holmes mystery!!!!), Armon Gilliam, Gerald Paddio and Mark Wade should've whipped Indiana's ass in the Final Four. Still baffled how Alford won that one. - XMASTIME
I just happened upon this little tidbit:
Mark Wade was a great point guard for our 1987 Final Four team. He only took 60 shots in 39 games that year. 
60 shots? That's beyond unfathomable to me. Mark Wade set an NCAA record with 406 assists that year, and I remember thinking him to be the greatest point guard ever, at the time.  But 60 shots all year?  I'd have about 12 shots before I got off the bus; including The Chinn Dome, I promise you I didn't have 406 assists in my entire life.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

After watching the 1987 IU run with rapt attention as a fourth grader, I had a VHS of the the UNLV and Syracuse games that I watched nearly every Saturday for a year. Alford v. Banks was one of the greatest shootouts of the college game, particularly considering how new the three-point line was relative to college ball. Strange we don't hear about more during march. (I think Alford had 8 threes and I know Banks hit 10 from downtown. Unreal.)

It's odd, considering how eager sportswriters are to talk historically when it comes to MLB, NFL, and NBA, that we don't see more comparisons and analogies between bygone players and games. Somehow the Fab Five and Duke are the only teams anyone remembers.

I mean, seriously, a team from Virginia makes the elite eight and we don't hear one mention of Jeff Lamp from the lamestream media? It's Bullshit!