Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Worlds Colliding, Beautifully.

I've been loving me some Mildred Pierce, so you KNOW I loves me some of this:
Prepare yourself for this week's episode: Mildred will open her new pie-and-chicken palace and for much of the hour fried chicken will be waved in your face and it will look so tantalizingly ready-for-consumption that you will not be able to push the idea of a piece of crispy, well-seasoned pan-fried bird out of your head.
The drumsticks, breasts and thighs that make you crazy-hungry were cooked by Colin Flynn, the miniseries' chief food stylist and the man who went the extra mile to trigger your olfactory senses. Not only did he go off script and use his own recipe (turn the page) but during all those fried chicken scenes, Flynn is actually just off-camera in a small kitchen on the set, hunched over three hot plates and engaged in marathon frying sessions, something that is not so well suited to moviemaking. "Fried chicken doesn't stay attractive for very long, so I just kept replacing it and replacing it," says Flynn. "But it's really hard to cook on a stage. When they're rolling you can't make any noise. It's just difficult logistically."
Oh, schnap - Kate Winslet-Xmastime AND fried chicken??!?!?!  Dip me in flour and drop me in hot oil!

No comments: