Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Paragraphs

We've gone over final lines of novels HERE.  I'm sure we've done the same with opening lines, and I'm sure Moby Dick's is always up there, and now TNC is saying that it's opening paragraph is the best paragraph ever.
Melville! Melville! Melville!!!!

Do not come to me with your drab and sorry works which I have not read. Melville desecrates their temples, steals their horses, and howls among the lamentation!

Do not come to me with your lectures on the tyranny of Dead, Straight White Male Writers. They're great! I love them all! Even Henry James's boring-ass!!
That's a tough one -other than opening or closing paragraphs, it's hard to even remember them in and of themselves.  I wann say I'd choose one from my superslice PETER LEROY; in particular, the graf that starts with "The door was loose on it's hinges."

No comments: