Thursday, July 07, 2011

It Gets Better

Dan Savage's IT GETS BETTER project should feel heroic to all of us; who knows how many teenage lives it will save?  Suicide never even remotely occurred to me when I was a teenager, but a close friend of mine lost her brother at the age of 18 because he couldn't imagine that once he became adult, things would change for the better.  The message is hang in there, it will get better.

I wasn't even aware of it when I posted it, but the post earlier with The Replacements featured Paul Weeterberg saying the exact same thing, beginnning about a minute into the video.

It gets better.  Nobody is defined by who or what they are when they're 15.  I'm 38, and I know that whatever they talk about at my funeral hasn't happened yet.  Just stick around.  If for no other reason, you never know.  You might win the lottery tomorrow, right now your soul mate might be walking though the door, who knows. You'll be dead soon enough; at least give life a chance to happen.

Yesterday sucked.  Today sucked. But for all you know, tomorrow might be great.  Hey, you never know.

You never fucking know .

1 comment:

Kiko Jones said...

Indeed.