Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Peggy Sue

The song was originally called "Cindy Lou", and was named for Buddy's niece, the daughter of his sister Pat Holley Kaiter. The title was later changed to "Peggy Sue" in reference to Crickets drummer Jerry Allison's girlfriend (and future wife), Peggy Sue Gerron, with whom he had recently had a temporary breakup.[3]

Appropriately, Allison played a prominent role in the production of the song, playing paradiddles on the drums throughout the song, the drums' sound rhythmically fading in and out as a result of real-time engineering techniques by the producer, Norm Petty. Many music critics regard this as Holly's all-time best recording.
Because everyone's heard it a zillion times before the time they're 5 years old it's easy to take Peggy Sue for granted, so I think we tend to forget how marvelously unique the song is, thanks to the drumming and rhythmic fading.  I mean, if it came out today, I think I'd shit myself.  And I don't mean I'd be pleasantly surprised by it, I mean my eyes would roll back into my head and I'd fill my pants up with shit while garbling "awabba-wabba-wabba!" until there was grass growing out of the mound of feces that was engulfing me.

No comments: