Monday, February 27, 2012

Art.

Thomas Jefferson was famously a deist, and he might have a point.  While just now I was thrilled in walking outside and being met with the sun, the point is, the more I walked, the less God I found.  I walked a city grid thought out by man, amidst grass areas thought out by man.  I crossed streets in obeyance with cars built by man, and bought an iced tea made by man. Every thing I looked at was made by man: shops, restaurants, etc. Mostly, I realized I was listening to Sgt Pepper while perusing through some guy's collection of books which (of course) included Leaves of Grass.  The sun's rays were keeping me warm, but I realized everything that kept me alive was because of man.  Maybe it took a coupla thousands of years planning roads, and maybe it only came thirty years ago, ie Telephone Free Landslide Victory, but it occurs to me that all of our greatest moments are because of ourselves; ie, man.  That is the definition of art: man.  All that man adds to the world is art.  Man wrote the Bible, after all.

No comments: