Sunday, April 01, 2012

Death.

If I was a mob guy and about to kill someone, I'd say "you're gonna die in 60 seconds. What's that feel like?" I think that would be an interesting thing to know. - XMASTIME
Apparently there's someone in China asking the same thing, which I think is the right thing for us to ask. There can surely be nothing more chilling than to realize you are moments away from death - what's that like? Is it calming? Is it terrifying? I reckon the only people who know exactly when they're gonna die are people on death row and people who commit suicide. The rest of us don't have that burden/luxury. Maybe it's An American Tragedy in me, who knows.

Clyde Griffiths, on the way to the electric chair, saying goodbye to his mother:
"Mama, you must believe I die resigned and content.  It won't be hard.  God has heard my prayers.  He has given me strength and peace."  But to himself adding: "Had he?"
Of course he hadn't: you lived an incredibly short life of 20 years.  You should be furious; what amount of "strength and peace" could possibly make up for "not existing"?

Good for him for questioning.  And has there ever been any talk re: why Dreiser wrote"he" instead of "He"?

Meantime, I think I would be a horrible, horrible shriveling mess of a man if I knew I was going to die in 60 seconds. I can promise you here and now, there will be no dignity in my death. I will shake and quiver and cry for any and every extra moment of life.

No comments: