Sunday, May 13, 2012

Diners, Drive-Ins and Something Else Oh Who Gives a Shit

In case you were worried you might actually be productive today, here's a bunch of old-time diners from the world's biggest, awesomest time-suck, Lileks.
Circle Restaurant, King George, VA. “Home of Finer Foods.” As befits a restaurant in Virginia, it proudly serves Virginia Ham - and it boasts car service as well, although it's hard to tell how. The sign doesn't use neon to advertise its Western Steaks, though; perhaps careful expensive market research indicated that the desire for Steaks A La West dropped off after dusk. Whereas desire for Virginia Ham was constant 24 hours a day.
It was in the massive gym (they were, after all, Double A to our lil' ol Single A) at King George High School that I made my jv basketball debut in the 8th grade; upon being told by Coach Futchko to go in I immediately sprinted onto the floor without bothering to take off my warm-ups or check into the scorer's table, halting the game at midcourt. Seconds later, the very first time my hands touched the ball I instinctively launched a turn-around jumper from the baseline that smacked into the side of the backboard. An auspicious debut at best - certainly one that did not forecast my future as maybe the single greatest basketball player of all time.

No comments: