Sunday, July 01, 2012

This Is England

Since a few years ago when I announced my intention to move to London on my 40th birthday, which obviously won't be happening, file that under FAILED GOAL #43,339, right between DUNK A BASKETBALL and MEET A FEMALE THAT WILL EVEN REMOTELY NOT BE INCREDIBLY REPULSED BY THE MERE THOUGHT OF ME, England has been  the "it" country, starting with the Royal Wedding, then my deciding to live-blog the Royal Wedding, then the Queen's Jubilee and McCartney turning 70 and now the upcoming 2012 Olympics. To celebrate, every Tuesday night this week PBS (YES, my watching PBS makes me better than you, why do you ask?) will be showing Michael Wood's Story of England series:
Visit the village of Kibworth, Leicestershire, with historian Michael Wood as he tells the 2,000-year-old story of this one settlement throughout English history. Kibworth, located in the heart of England, lived through the Black Death, the English Civil War, the Industrial Revolution and World War II. Intertwining the local and national narratives, Wood presents a moving and informative picture of one local community through time.
DEAR ENGLAND: I apologize in advance for not making it to your fine country. Dry those eyes, people. I didn't move to any other country, at least.

No comments: