Thursday, December 27, 2012

41

Bush demanding to face reality and go back on his "no new taxes" speech and his refusal to spike the football during the crumbling of the Berlin Wall means he would be crucified if he happened in today's GOP. - XMASTIME
I don't wanna be the bearer of depressing news, but I'd be surprised if George H.W. Bush makes it through the new year. As I quoted Evan Thomas a while back:
“One of the ironies of Bush is here is a fundamentally decent man who presided over a moment when politics got meaner and rougher.”
Then I went on in the post to say some brilliant things (duh), including his mismatched timing with history:
Like most people I would assume, I probably always thought that Bush 41 was always an inherently decent guy; the influx of this kind of politics during his rise to power is something I might chalk up to bad timing, would’ve happened with anyone etc. But, as Thomas points out, "Bush let it happen.”...And looking at Bush’s worldliness/WWII and CIA experience et al I see him fitting in more during his son’s tenure. A seasoned, calm, worldly veteran to guide us through stormy times.

No comments: