Friday, September 20, 2013

So Long Again, Andy

Andy Pettitte's retiring again. And when asked about his chances for the Hall of Fame, he sais almost the exact same thing as last time:
I’ve never considered myself a Hall of Famer. I feel honored that people are talking about it. I never dreamed that I would be able to be talked about as far as the Hall of Fame...but this game has been so difficult for me, and such a grind. The several players that I’ve played with that I know are for sure Hall of Famers, to me they’ve made it look so easy. I know it’s not easy, but they make it look so easy, and they’ve made it look so easy for so many years. That’s who I look at as, those are Hall of Fame players. I can honestly say that this game hasn’t been that easy for me.”
As I wrote HERE, just like with Mike Mussina I don't really consider him to be a Hall of Famer, but I'd certainly be thrilled if he did get in.  Nobody stayed awake at night scared of facing Pettitte, and no fathers brought their kids to the Stadium to witness "The Great Pettitte," but he was a workhorse and one the greatest, clutch post-season pitchers of all time.

He's one of few remaining connections to the Yankees I first fell in love with, he has five World Series rings, and I'll miss watching him pitch on a lazy June afternoon.

Also, he's probably the only starting pitcher I'll ever be able to say I saw pitch at the Stadium in three different decades!

No comments: