Sunday, March 23, 2014

Beautiful Suicide

LIFE is highlighting the famous image of the woman who jumped off the Empire State Building in 1947, The Most Beautiful Suicide:
It's startling of course because after falling over 1,000 feet and 86 stories, she looks like she's only resting and could open her eyes at any moment.

LIFE directs us to a site that tells what we know about her family history and her final hours, during which she said goodbye to her fiance before coming back to NYC after a weekend together in Easton, and according to the boyfriend:
Barry stated to reporters that “When I kissed her goodbye she was happy and as normal as any girl about to be married.”
Is this all we've ever gotten out of the fiance? Is he still alive? Did this fuck him up, or what? Does he know why she would cross that one line out of her suicide note?
“I don’t want anyone in or out of my family to see any part of me. Could you destroy my body by cremation? I beg of you and my family – don’t have any service for me or remembrance for me. My fiance asked me to marry him in June. I don’t think I would make a good wife for anybody. He is much better off without me. Tell my father, I have too many of my mother’s tendencies.”
I feel like this would make a great short film. Also, is the guy that took the photo still alive?

No comments: