Saturday, July 23, 2016

Tommy Says So

It's not every day I click on Salon and see an interview with Tommy Stinson, but his strict adherence to being on time,  after having grown up (literally) in one of the most incredibly dysfunctional bands of all time, may be even more surprising:
You don’t drive. Does that make touring feel that much more youthful for you?
Paul doesn’t, either! Ultimately, someone’s got to navigate and be able to read a fuckin’ map! Why would I learn how to drive? Someone’s got to know how to read a map and be the passenger. I like that role. I would often ride with the equipment trucks because I liked to do that. 
 
I never felt the need to do it. I grew up in Minneapolis and traveled all over the place. I was always comfortable with public transportation. I lived in L.A. for twenty years. I’m the only guy that I know that was completely punctual to every meeting by taking public transportation.

I run my life like that. I’m not completely anal about time. But if I have a 3 o’clock meeting and I’ve got to take a bus or train to get there, I’d rather be on the early rather than late side.



No comments: