Wednesday, August 05, 2020

Macca du Jour


Big interview with Paul McCartney over at GQ UK (obviously I read every country's version of GQ). Dunno what the occasion is - though I guess you don't need one when it's Paul freaking McCartney. Some interesting quotes:

Q. What’s the first thing you do when you go back to Liverpool?

A. Most of the time I fly up. So I’ll get to Liverpool airport, the John Lennon Airport, and I’ll have a car [waiting for me] and I’ll drive myself from thereon. I like driving and I don’t want to be driven around Liverpool. It’s like a guided tour, with me as the tour guide. I’ll say, “And this is where John’s mother, Julia, lived and we used to go round and visit her. And this is the street here where I had my first girlfriend.” Just millions and millions of memories all come flooding back. When I went back to Liverpool with James Corden for the “Carpool Karaoke” special, he was very good, because he just kept me going, asking me questions, plus he’s someone who it’s cool to hang out with, you know? He’s entertained as well as entertaining. I did the same thing: “This is the church where I used to sing in the choir, this is Penny Lane and this is the barber.” Every time I go up there, it’s the same. The only difference with the thing I did with James is that I’d never been inside my old house. I hadn’t been back since I left it. James suggested doing it. I was always a little apprehensive about going back. I didn’t know if it was going to be nice or whether I would get bad memories or whatever, although I don’t really know what I was worried about. But it was fabulous – really great. I was happy to be able to tell him all the stories, of my dad, my brother and our time there. It brought back a lot of nice memories actually, so I loved it.

Q. You’ve said in the past that you’ve occasionally dreamed about John Lennon. When was the last time?

A. I don’t keep count, really, but it was probably about a month ago. So, often, John or George will be in there. And the good thing is you don’t really think anything of it, it’s just normal, like, “Oh, yeah?” and you’re just chatting away, talking about what we’re going to do, as in making a record or something. So he’s often there, I’m glad to say... And it’s normally very pleasant, you know? I love those boys.

Q. You’re not averse to showing yourself in public, are you?
A. When I was a kid, I’d get on a bus, just going three or four stops, and get off, look around. I remember years later, George Harrison said to me, “Do you still go on buses?” And I said, “Yeah. I like it. I find it very grounding.” And I actually do like it. I also like a nice car and I like driving too. But there’s something about that, being ordinary... I mean, I know I can’t be ordinary, at all – I’m way too famous to be ordinary – but, for me, that feeling inside, of feeling like myself still, is very important.  Once, I went into New York from Long Island on the bus they call the Jitney. It takes about three hours. And I was loving it because I had a long book that I was trying to finish – it was a Dickens, Nicholas Nickleby. I was really into it and so I wanted some time to read it. So, I’m on the Jitney and when people came on and sat next to me and they started talking to me I said, “I hope you don’t mind but I’m trying to finish this book.” Anyway, the Jitney stopped in New York, just a few blocks short of where I was going, so I thought I’d take a bus the rest of the way. Amazingly, I had the right change, so I got on the next bus. When I did, I noticed that everyone had noticed me, but they’re all being cool and they’re not saying anything. They’re all New Yorkers, looking straight ahead, even though I’m aware they’ve noticed I’ve got on the bus. Then this black woman pipes up from the back of the bus: “Are you Paul McCartney?” And I said, “Yes, I am.” And she said, “What are you doing on this bus?” And I said, “Why don’t you stop shouting and come and sit next to me?” And you could see everyone’s shoulders heaving. They’re loving this. She asked me where I was going. I found out she was going uptown to see her sister and we ended up having this lovely conversation. That’s why I like a proper conversation. Being ordinary. I love that. It means a lot to me – maybe too much to me. I wouldn’t have wanted to get on the bus and sort of announce myself. “Hi, it’s Paul McCartney! What do you think of me?” I could no more do that than fly.

No comments: