Monday, September 21, 2020

Dream Syndicate Show


Back in 2010 I posted about one of my favorite nights I had while living in Brooklyn, when I commandeered legendary Dream syndicate leader Steve Wynn's set list at a random solo show nobody came to:

Shortly after I moved to Brooklyn in January of 1998 GodIHateYourSteveWynn, Lux and I went to some basement in the city, where Steve Wynn of the Dream Syndicate was playing a solo acoustic show. He was trying to plug his latest album, of which he releases about 50 a year, and nobody was really giving a shit, everybody kinda milling around chatting. After I had partook in a few warm Heinekins I thought I'd do Mr. Wynn a favor, and I started shouting out Dream Synicate songs I wanted to hear, and he simply shrugged "fuck it" and played whatever I shouted out over the next 45 minutes or so.

I've always hated that "Only in New York, kids!" saying, but later on while standing there talking to Steve Wynn I remember thinking "there's no way I'd be standing here talking to Steve Wynn after picking out his set list anywhere else." 

Anyhoo, I randomly stumbled upon a great recording of a Dream Syndicate show in their absolute prime in 1983. You're welcome, mother scratchers!


No comments: