Saturday, October 31, 2020

EAP Halloween Wrap-Up

I hope everyone enjoyed my Edgar Allan Poe October Reading Series. While I was hard on him scoring-wise (deservedly so, I must say), I thoroughly enjoyed taking time every day to read one of his short stories. Doing so did make it annoyingly easier to pick up on some of his habits (see my bitching about aquatic vortexes/dead women obsessions/terrible mysteries), but allowing yourself to ride his mind a little bit every day is indeed a privilege. On one hand you wish he'd had more of a lifetime to write more than one (terribly average, I must say) novel; on the other, the short story is the perfectly delivery system for his panicked, manic dread that can only be sustained for so long. Looking at my scores below, you'll realize there's a reason they teach the Poe stories they do teach in schools everywhere; while his hit singles are fantastic, a lot of his album cuts are abysmal.

I'm bummed I only read 26 stories, as I didn't start until the 6th, but it is what it is. Read them for yourselves and share your own scores, and I will patiently explain why you are wrong on each account. You're welcome! :)

The Tell-Tale Heart 10
The Fall of the House of Usher 9
Hop-Frog 9
The Murders in the Rue Morgue 9
The Cask of Amontillado 8
The Pit and the Pendulum 8
The Masque of the Red Death 8
The Imp of the Perverse 7
William Wilson 6
The Black Cat 5
The Purloined Letter 5
A Tale of the Ragged Mountains 5
Metzengerstein 5
The Oblong Box 4
Eleonora 4
Berenice 4
A Descent into the Maelström 4
MS Found in a Bottle 4
The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar 3
The Premature Burial 3
The Gold-Bug 2
Ligeia 2
The Man in the Crowd 0
The Oval Portrait 0
Morella 0
The Assignaton 0
AVERAGE SCORE: 5.04

No comments: