Saturday, October 31, 2020

Your Daily Poe (Or Edgar Allan If You're Nasty)

As it's officially October (BOO!), I will on every day be reading one short story written by the Master of the Macabre himself, and briefly commenting on it. Enjoy!

Day 22: The Purloined Letter

Thoughts: A disappointing ending to my October Halloween Edgar Allan Poe reading series; as soon as I saw the name "Dupin" I knew that oh for fuck's sake, here we go again. For being the godfather of the modern mystery novel, almost every one I read this month was exceedingly dull in both its execution and delivery. I don't see the point in his repeated literary device of just filling up a bunch of pages with whatever and then at the very end saying "okay, here's everything that happened without you even remotely knowing any of it so that I may now call this a mystery of sorts." Whatever score this story gets will be purely based on my own generosity as well as the quasi-interesting motif of placing the evidence in plain sight based on a game of Odds & Evens; however, the thing could've been told in a much more interesting, narrative way instead of this 19th century Encyclopedia Brown nonsense.

Memorable Line: None.

Score from 1-10: 5. You're welcome, Poe. Happy Halloween!

No comments: