Monday, October 12, 2020

Ivan Meets GI Joe

I haven't seen him since I left New York, so it's great to see my old friend Ivan in a new documentary, You Don't Know Ivan Julian. Obviously growing up worshiping CBGB's I knew who he was when I was 17 years old so it was a thrill when I first met him, but he quickly just became a good friend who always brought a smile to my face whenever I saw him. And unlike what I would've done, he didn't spend any time reminding anybody who would listen that he'd played in the Voidoids and was on a Clash record. The doc does a good job of showing Ivan being himself, and also touching on his being the only black guy in the NY punk scene without making that all he ever was, or will be. 

Also, the doc made me nostalgic as fuck for Brooklyn.

You can watch it now on AMAZON PRIME!!!

U_Dont_Know_Ivan_Trailer_0622_4K from ColdCuts Productions on Vimeo.

No comments: