Thursday, December 17, 2020

BBC Mount Rushmore

I listen to Elimination, a podcast on Spotify that pits things such as BBC sitcoms or Xmas songs against each other, and this morning they had a rousing argument about which BBC sitcom characters belong on a virtual Mount Rushmore. They settled on:

Del Boy from Only Fools and Horses

Basil Fawlty from Fawlty Towers 

Victor Mildrew from One Foot in the Grave

Gordon Brittas from The Brittas Empire

As for my own personal list, I've never watched One Foot in the Grave or The Brittas Empire, but of course I agree that Del Boy and Basil Fawlty are no-brainers. My Mount Rushmore would look like:

Del Boy

Basil Fawlty

Geraldine Grainger from The Vicar of Dibley (the strong center that keeps the other nutjobs together, all while delivering both comedy and pathos in spades.)

Jay Cartwright from The Inbetweeners (the greatest bullshitter in the history of bullshiting, of course.)

Two tough ones weren't necessarily characters, but actors: Penelope Keith (The Good Life, To the Manor Born) and Ronnie Barker (Porridge, Open All Hours) both played two different characters in two sitcoms that are all incredibly iconic, but somehow seemed to split the vote for themselves in my head.

Others seriously considered by me:

Alan Partridge from I'm Alan Partridge

Smithy from Gavin and Stacey

Edmund Blackadder from Blackadder

Wolfie Smith from Citizen Smith

Sir Humphrey from Yes, Minister

No comments: