Thursday, December 24, 2020

Hear Hear!

For some reason people love hating on Christmas music, insisting there is a right time for it (usually starting on Christmas Eve and ending the moment the presents are done being opened) and anyone who plays it outside of those boundaries is a monster. I do not subscribe to that, and am happy to finally get some backup:

People whinge and whine about having to hear Christmas music in stores, as if it isn’t a welcome reprieve from hearing non-Christmas Sia in stores. Its only crime is trying to make a shit time of year feel less shit by bringing warmth and light and joy. I like the ones about baby Jesus. I like the ones about “gee whiz, it’s Christmastime in the city, and everyone’s hustling and bustling!” I like the ones about Santa bringing toys. I like the ones about “it’s a snowy time of year, but let’s go on a date anyway.” I like the ones about “I’m sad at Christmas because my baby’s gone.” I like the ones about “I’m sad at Christmas because I’m an old man thinking about Christmases of yore.” I like the ones about Jingle Bell Rocking Around a Christmas Goose. I like the Victorian ones about singing at a door for handfuls of pudding. Not only is Christmas music “nice, actually,” it may be the best genre, full stop.

Great points about Christmas music:

It transcends religion.

It alters our perception of time.  

No genre is better at yearning.  

Glitz. Glamour. Shimmer. Zazz, even. 

It defies trends.

It has fun, underused percussion. 

It’s Rousingly Sing-along-able. 

It still inspires genuinely good new music.

I'm okay with the argument that Christmas music may not always be the BEST genre, but I like it a lot and am always happy to hear it and thoroughly agree with each and every one of the article's reasons on this list to appreciate Christmas music more. Check yoself, h8rz!

No comments: