Thursday, December 24, 2020

Today's "A Christmas Carol", I

The Muppet Christmas Carol

Thoroughly delightful - what can you say, it's The Muppets. The look and feel were thoroughly warm and Christ-massy, which I'm learning gets you halfway there when it comes to showing this particular story. Having Gonzo as Charles Dickens and Rizzo the Rat as narrators was a brilliant choice as both narrative and comedic devices. The toggle between comedy and drama was a nice mix. Michael Caine was fine, just fine I guess. He seemed game enough, but I'm not sure I really bought into him being a real part of it, although I suppose in 1992 is was a tad difficult acting alongside puppets; his talent alone carried him in the end with the most serious bits.

My only complaints: why the songs? And, it being a Muppets production and obviously geared at least partly towards kids, 86 minutes is far too long. Cutting out the unnecessary songs could've trimmed it to a nicely-wrapped-up hour. 

Overall, two Xmas trees up! :)

No comments: