Thursday, December 24, 2020

Today's "A Christmas Carol", II

A Christmas Carol, 1951 version starring Alistair Sim as Scrooge

I'm not a movie purist in any way, but the black and white picture in this one is STUNNING. So clear, so crisp, it's exactly what black and white celluloid should be, as with versions of Great Expectations and Wuthering Heights I've also seen. Sim as Scrooge is really great, second only to George C. Scott - he has a weird face that lends itself nicely to his being able to both look like a complete asshole and an earnest dope. Maybe the most interesting thing about this version that's different than the others is it showing a much-younger Scrooge in the office with Fezziwig as his boss; Scrooge at that point on the same level as Cratchit would be in the future. Showed a VERY in-depth look into his past business life, including featuring the most living Marley by far. It also took more time in showing Scrooge's actual turn from idealism and Fezziwig to Marley and money, instead of it solely being seen through the eyes of his spurned lover like in the other versions. Sim's gleeful turn in the ending may be the best of all the Scrooges I've seen, probably partly due to the fact that his face just naturally looks goofy af, although it goes on a bit (enough with all the goddam dancing let's see him buy a 200-pound turkey dammit!) and is less faithful to the story than some of the others.

My only complaints: Tiny Tim is too fucking big - wtf his name is "Tiny Tim", not "Kind of Lumbering Late Teenager Tim"!! Also, there's a scene with the Ghost of Future Past that goes on and on so long it loses you; I honestly wondered for a moment if my video had skipped to another movie.

Two Xmas trees up!

I'm tempted to finish out my A Christmas Carol binge with the 1970 Scrooge featuring the great Albert Finney, but I don't think  I have the patience to get through a musical.

No comments: