Friday, January 29, 2021

The Great Blasket Island

The memoir The Loneliest Boy in the World: The Last Child of the Great Blasket Island was a fascinating read - particularly if you actually read it while in Dingle like I did (does that make me better than you OF COURSE THAT MAKES ME BETTER THAN YOU!!!). It was about the last kid who lived on the Blasket Island before the Irish government finally made everybody evacuate the it in the 1950s. I remember a lot of talk in the book about peat and turf.

Here's a Facebook clip of some dude visit the island he grew up on for the last time before he died. It only makes me yearn like crazy for the day I can go back to visit Dingle once again. See my previous trips HERE and....crap, did I really not post about my 2019 trip? OUTRAGEOUS! I'm sure I will remedy that soon, my promise to you loyal fans.

No comments: