Monday, September 20, 2021

Stand Clear of the Closing Doors...

Just earlier today during a meeting I made a joke that as a NYC Subway snob I turn my nose up at the DC Metro system (which sucks). And now I see this article pop up in the NY Times (or, as I call it, "the Times) about the different sounds of The Hidden Melodies of Subways Around the World:

Like many aspects of mass transit systems, door chimes may seem banal, the dull background track to daily commutes. If you listen more closely, though, you’ll notice regional patterns and distinctions.

For Green, recording videos of door closings started as a way to document his travel for himself, but he eventually compiled some videos on YouTube. He was shocked when one door-closing montage got more than two million views. He has made many more videos since; this past year, he’s noticed that there’s been a spike in viewership, perhaps because of nostalgia for train riding during global lockdowns.

The NYC one is definitely baked into my brain forever....and now I miss it dammit! Here's a coupla subway posts I've had over the decades ENJOY!!

No comments: