Thursday, November 04, 2021

20 Years Ago Today

Scott Brosius: "Life is not fair. I mean, if there was ever a fair time for the Yankees to win the World Series, that was the year." 

Luiz Gonzales broke and entire city's heart with a bloop single to win Game 7 of the single greatest World Series I've ever witnessed. Tino's home run, Mr. November's home run, Soriano's gw rbi, the you're-not-human-if-theres-no-waterworks scene of the crowd serenading Paul O'Neill in his last ever game at The Stadium, all setting up a Game 7 of Clemens vs Schilling. All these miraculous moments playing out for people that needed miracles. Deserved miracles, even. And in the end...it all gets thrown away because, of all people, the greatest reliever in the history of the planet throws the ball away at second base. What? Are you kidding me? I'm supposed to believe there's a god, and he's that cruel?

Obviously, this is yet anther chance for me to implore you people to watch the fantastic Nine Innings from Ground Zero.

And I know it was the Diamondbacks' moment but fuck that I'm posting a picture of Paul O'Neill from Game 5.


No comments: