Wednesday, December 14, 2022

Followup Movie Review, by Xmastime

I first mentioned The Banshees of Inisherin yesterday.

I loved this movie, although I'd be lying if I said a big part of that wasn't the insanely beautiful scenery, what with it being on the coast of Ireland and all. As someone who's been there to witness such a place, even I just can't believe it's still as untouched and stunning as it all is.

Gleason is his normal great self, and Ferrell should be up for whatever awards are out there. A great, great movie I know I'll revisit over the years.

HOWEVER.

I don't know why Ferrell kept confronting Gleason about "being nice", instead of not wanting to be his friend anymore. Why did it become a bit of a quasi-"we should all be nice to each other" lesson instead of the bitter heartbreak that would come from such a turn by a friend?

Not that Ferrell didn't do plenty of just that, but he did it all in his eyes and mannerisms and movements; I just don't know why during his confrontations he'd implore Gleason to be nice more than outrage/questions over his sudden rejection of friendship. After all, Gleason continued being nice to everybody else, just not his now erstwhile best friend.

No comments: