Sunday, April 02, 2023

Xmastime TV Review

Oh good, another story about a middle-aged guy nestled so softly into absolute financial security he can just taunt any chance of being fired et al while being so curmudgeonly it approaches the acceptable television/movie level we know automatically makes everybody around him really, really want him to warm up to them despite his best efforts to repel them. Great.

I see the show's using the ol' "this is a serious show and just to make sure you understand how serious we're making the lighting so that the actual footage borders on the unwatchable" trick. Great.

Is this show really asking me to get all worked up about the daddy issues a 60 year-old man with a wife and kid(s?) is supposedly trapped under? Really? (Eyes roll out of head)

The shitty kid he's I guess going to be sparring with all season is just too fucking shitty care about. I hope he gets eaten by the college fucking mascot.

I'd think one of the benefits of working at a small liberal arts college that nobody really knows or cares about would be the opportunity to just chill and be happy and kind to each other, but apparently this small group of professors are the people from Succession - which I've never watched but I'm 100% sure I'm right here.

Because it's also television law, we have to insist on adding the word "comedy" into the genre listing so that...well, I don't really know why they do this but it drives me nuts.

I don't know. I love Bob Odenkirk like everybody else but this seems to go out of its way to purposefully stuff itself with every fucking thing wrong with tv these days.

Speaking of Odenkirk is it just me or does the rest of the cast feel a little c-listy*?

Maybe the source material's not that great to begin with; I read the book a few years back and can't really remember much about it other than the general sense of it.


* except the actor who play Billie, who's in an ACTUALLY FUNNNY SHOW, Corner Gas!! Check it out!!

No comments: