Monday, May 22, 2023

Thank You For Not Asking, II

The folks over at The Ringer have a list of the best tv series finales of the 21st century; here's some thoughts on a few that I was all geared up for at the time (mostly). You're welcome, Earth!

GIRLS - I’m sure it was fine but to me the most memorable moment of the ending arc was the scene with Adam & Hannah at Kellogg’s Diner in the penultimate episode (yes, the HOPEFULLY NOT SOON TO BE CLOSED KELLOGG’S DINER).

CATASTROPHE - Rob’s dad stole the show with his ridiculous yellow jaundiced makeup but I for one was never one of those fans who wondered if Rob & Sharon committed suicide in the end.

SEX AND THE CITY - don’t really care other than as soon as it was over me and Rrthur (YES, ladies, THAT Arthur!) recorded what had to be the worlds first ever podcast. Haven’t listed to it since and I’m sure its lost forever but we’ll just assume I was laugh out loud funny af.

FREAKS AND GEEKS - isn’t the thing about F&G that they never actually had a finale?

THE WEST WING - fantastic, of course.

VEEP - this was a kinda awkward sendoff because after years of absolutely crushing it every episode they ran into the buzzsaw of Trump being in office, therein rendering any political satire superfluous. Also, the extended insult lines that were so great for so long just seemed to lose their fastball this season, each one dragging on a half-beat too long.

MAD MEN
- I’m sure it was fine but by then there was so little office stuff I think I was fine with it ending the way it did.

FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS - I’m sure I’ve seen it a hundred times and I’m sure I loved it but all I remember is that ball in the air at the end and then “oh they’re starting over in Philly okay whatever” and it was all fine. Oh wait it turns out I did write about it in real time, including noticing I hadn’t realized it was the series finale in the moment.

THE SOPRANOS - I ripped the show during its ending in real time, less for the ending itself and more because I think I was just fed up with everyone claiming the show to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Over time I’ve softened on this stance.

It's not from this century but these people know how to throw a goodbyeee party for a brilliant show.

No comments: