Saturday, June 24, 2023

The Days of Wine and Roses

I never did a radio show in college without playing the Dream Syndicate's Halloween - XMASTIME

Get thee over to Spotify now and treat yourself to the fantastic 40th anniversary of The Dream Syndicate's classic, The Days of Wine and Roses! Great album to begin with, and tons of great extra shit.

Also, making up Steve Wynn's set list shortly after moving to New York City in 1998 is still one of my all-time favorite memories 🤗:

Shortly after I moved to Brooklyn in January of 1998 GodIHateYourSteveWynn, Lux and I went to some basement in the city, where Steve Wynn of the Dream Syndicate was playing a solo acoustic show. He was trying to plug his latest album, of which he releases about 50 a year, and nobody was really giving a shit, everybody kinda milling around chatting. After I had partook in a few warm Heinekins I thought I'd do Mr. Wynn a favor, and I started shouting out Dream Synicate songs I wanted to hear, and he simply shrugged "fuck it" and played whatever I shouted out over the next 45 minutes or so.

I've always hated that "Only in New York, kids!" saying, but later on while standing there talking to Steve Wynn I remember thinking "there's no way I'd be standing here talking to Steve Wynn after picking out his set list anywhere else." Here's Burn, a super-slice from Medicine Show.

Also cool: Steve Wynn is in The Baseball Project.

Vivá la Dream Syndicate!

No comments: