Sunday, June 25, 2023

Time of Death: Right Now

I'm not in the general practice of giving up on a book once I've started it but after 100 pages and not having any idea what the fuck's going on and not being able to wrap my head around half the names and from what I can tell still being about 1000 miles from any point from which whatever amazing plotline will present itself as being worthy to have its own book declared to be one of the best of the last century, I'm saying "it's not me, it's you" to A Passage to India.

Which is doubly a shame, since I'd just finished a hot streak of 3 books that were not only fantastic & enjoyable to read, but any of the three could find themselves on a short list of Books That Really Made Me Think About How to Live My Life. Unlike the aforementioned flop, I can't recommend these three incredible books enough:
The Painted Bird, Jerzy Kosinski
Mother, Maxim Gorky
Spill Simmer Falter Wither, Sara Baume

Ah well.

UPDATE: I just realized, it's four books in a row not three, thanks to Flaubert's fantastic Memoirs of a Madman which I read right before The Painted Bird. Damn you, A Passage to India!!!

No comments: