Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Help, I'm Stepping Into The Twilight Zone: Episode 2

I've been looking for something to thrill me a little for this Halloween October month and it occurred to me that an item on a list of things I wanna do a deep dive on is The Twilight Zone; I think I've somehow managed to make it to 51 years old without actually sitting down and watching an entire episode. So I will now spend the rest of the month watching one per day one whenever I remember to think about it, just for you people - you're welcome!

SEASON 1 EPISODE 2
One for the Angels
10/9/1959

XMASTIME REVIEW: meh. Underwhelming. I guess there's been too many "guy holds off death with his wits" things so I feel like if you do it it either needs to be REALLY REALLY scary or REALLY REALLY funny; this one just kinda hovered around meandering pleasantness, to the point where I'm miffed they even brought in the whole little girl scenario in the first place. Also, this guy is such a great pitchman he literally has Death throwing money at him, sweating with hopeless desperation at such an "AMAZING!!" pitch that was pretty much "these ties are great! you should buy one! this thread is great, here's some spools of thread you should buy!!" so I mean I guess it's just a mystery why he lives in a rattrap hovel? Besides, Del Boy has better pitches with one bouncy attitude behind his back! AND OH YEAH: why'd Death say the titular line "one for the angels" twice? If it's gonna be the dramatic mic drop at the end, why also have it anywhere else? 🤔🤷‍♂️

MOST INTERESTING THING ABOUT IT: the actor who played the death character went on to be the mayor in Jaws.

WEIRDEST THING IN HISTORY THAT HAPPENED ON THE DAY THIS EPISODE AIRED
: Lee Harvey Oswald signed into a hotel in Helsinki.

No comments: